MCA TESTING BEGINS AFTER SPRING BREAK
3rd – 5th grade Reading, April 3-13
3rd – 5th grade Math, April 17-27
It is very important that your child is at school for these assessments. Please look for information from your student’s classroom teacher for the exact days your student will test and avoid appointments or conflicts.
Here are a few suggestions for the day and morning before the test to ensure your child finds success:
- Make sure they get plenty of sleep
- Eat a good breakfast
- Get plenty of exercise
- Drink water
- Avoid family conflicts
- Encourage your child to do their very best
Here are even more ideas you could do over spring break.
- Complete some sample items. (Found here, http://minnesota.pearsonaccessnext.com/item-samplers/) Do them together and share your thinking about how you would solve the problem.
Don’t forget things like:
- Read the question and all answer choices before marking anything.
- Find key words or phrases in the question that will help you choose the correct answer.
- Be sure you are responding to the question that is being asked.
- If the test requires you to read passages and then answer questions about what you read,read the questions first.
- Look at all of the answers, use your knowledge to eliminate obvious wrong answers.
- Line up place value correctly on your scratch paper (thousands, hundreds, tens, ones) or the answer will be incorrect.
- If your answer does not match one of the choices, reread the problem, recopy the numbers, and try solving it again.
- Both you and your student write out all the strengths the child has in the subject area and share them with each other.
- Prepare a note of encouragement to send with your child on the day of testing.
Results of this test will be mailed to you from the district office at the beginning of the 18-19 school year.