We will be taste testing Chef Salimatu Butler’s West African inspired Savory Green Beans and Onions at lunch Tuesday November 28th.
A few fun facts about this recipe and Green Beans:
- There are more than 130 varieties of green bean that differ in taste and in the color and size of pods.
- Green Beans are the third most popular garden plant (after tomato and peppers).
- Green beans grow in the form of a bush that can reach 8 to 20 inches in height or 7 – 10 feet in the form of a vine.
- Leaves of green beans can be green or purple in color.
- Green beans produce white, pink or purple flowers which are usually pollinated by insects.
- Each pod contains 4 to 6 beans, that are usually smooth and kidney shaped.
- Green beans grow via seed. It takes 45 to 60 days from planting to harvesting.
- Green beans are a rich source of proteins, carbohydrates and dietary fibers. It also contains vitamins of the B group, vitamins C and K and minerals such as magnesium, iron and manganese.
Thanks for taking the time to review this with your students and for sharing a couple fun facts! We hope to see all our students enjoying on Taste Test Day!