Osseo Senior High Points of Pride
This is an ongoing list of just some of the many accomplishments of ISD 279-Osseo Area Schools students and staff. Additional submissions always welcome; send to the WEBMASTER.
The “DIdeas Keep On Comin” team of Adamson Novak (MGSH), Erin Besser (MGSH), James Pipkin (OSH), and Jess Bray (MGSH) earned 1st place in the Secondary Level Fine Arts Challenge: Change of Tune at the Destination Imagination Global Finals competition in Knoxville, TN from May 23-27. Their team manager is Jody Kinneberg, a teacher at Maple Grove Middle School. The DIdeas Keep On Comin team competed against 79 Affiliate Champion teams from around the world. As the culminating event of the Destination Imagination (DI) season, Global Finals provides student finalists the opportunity to showcase their top-scoring innovative solutions in the areas of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) and service learning at the world’s largest celebration of creativity.
The DIdeas Keep On Comin’ win at Global Finals followed their 1st place finish at the MN Affiliate (State) competition where they won 1st place and a Renaissance award for their complex set design, musical score, and overall story. They also earned MN Distinguished Leader awards for their contribution to the MN State Destination Imagination program in the areas of leadership, volunteerism, and developing training materials. They wrote a series of Instant Challenges that are used in team training and hosted an Instant Challenge workshop mentoring several District 279 DI teams.
Osseo Senior High earns Silver Medal from US News and World Report Best High Schools Program. Osseo Senior High is ranked #51. Read more about the ranking HERE.
Senior Eric Lundstrom was featured on Channel 12's Standout Student.
Eighteen Osseo Senior High School artists were recognized for their work and commitment to excellence in the arts at the 2018 Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Section 4AA/5AA Visual Arts Festival at Perpich Center for Arts Education on May 5, 2018.
Students submitted work in a variety of categories, including photography, drawing, painting, and ceramics. College and high school instructors, as well as professional artists from throughout the state, judged students’ work. The scoring for the event was 30 and over equaled a superior award, 20 to 29 equaled an excellence award, and 19 and below equaled an achievement.
At the completion of the festival, two students were honored with Judge’s Choice/Spotlight on the Arts awards. In earning these distinctions, Emma Hauser and Ricky Chanthavong were invited to exhibit their work at the 2018 Minnesota State Visual Arts Exhibition at the Perpich Center for Arts Education.
Section 4AA/5AA award winners from Osseo Area Schools are
Emma Hauser (Ceramics)
Ben Gilbertson (Ceramics)
Alexa Paulson (Ceramics)
Spencer Boeder (Ceramics)
Natalie Anderson (Ceramics)
Al-Arrat Mamadou (Photography)
Ricky Chanthavong (Photography)
Nate Lantaigne-Goetsch (Photography)
Meagan Houfek (Photography)
Breanna Brock (Photography)
Isaiah Oliver (Drawing)
Ethan Spinler (Multi-media)
Kelly Xiong (Drawing)
Anthony Dalmacio (Drawing)
Lucy Bergeron (Drawing)
Jaci Ramos (Painting)
Faith Her (Painting)
Taylor Sorsveen (Painting)
The Art Department at OSH is thrilled and honored to announce two of our student artists have been selected as National Scholastic Art Award Winners. This selection puts them among the top one percent of 7-12 grade art and writing students nationwide! There were over 3000 works of art awarded Gold and Silver Medals this year nationally.
The winning artworks will be on display this summer at Carnegie Hall in New York City; Ben will be in attendance at the ceremony among the nation’s gold medal winners, celebrities and dignitaries and his work will be part of a 2-year travelling exhibition.
Ben Gilbertson is being awarded the National Gold Medal in Ceramics for Post Historic
Eric Lundstrom is being awarded the National Silver Medal in Photography for Cimmerian Reverie.
While on choir tour in Duluth over the term break, during which they studied with Dr. Bret Amundsen at the College of St. Scholastica, the Osseo Tour Choir was asked to give an impromptu performance while waiting to tour the Glensheen Mansion. The Glensheen Mansion posted the video of the choir singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" on their Facebook page. NOTE: the link redirects you to Facebook. Osseo Area Schools is not responsible for the content of the page.
- Matt Cici (Osseo '06) presented on March 14th on how to film a movie using only your cell phone. Kids were able to try out filmmaking equipment and ask questions of Cici, a film actor and producer.
- Senior Darian Clark was featured as Channel 12's Standout Student.
- On Wednesday, December 6, the following students were honored by the North Hennipen Chamber of Commerce as Star Students: Pictured left to right: I-Shine Sibila, Peterlyn Zakiel, Marrell Woods, Karina Erikson, Assistant Principal Erica Barlow, Montrell Stokes, Kathryn Smith Hanson, Hang Truong, Jaylinn Jones, Mary Hentges, Angel Lean, Carter Compton
Not Pictured: Lina Vang, Makayla Jacobsen, Natalie Anderson, Samahjay Hitchcock
Seniors Gabrielle Holton and Darian Clark win regional 5AA Triple A Award, awarded to students who have a "B" or better academic average and participate in varsity MSHSL sports and fine arts. Read more about it HERE.
- The Osseo High School powerlifting team has started its second season.after winning the inaugural Minnesota State High School Powerlifting Championship last February. Read more about it HERE.
- CCX News featured Osseo senior Gabrielle Holton as a standout student for her myriad interests in the musical Hairspray, hockey and lacrosse, and Advanced Placement coursework. Watch the VIDEO HERE.
- ACT 2017/18 "30 Club" - 44 OSH seniors scored a 30 or better on one or more sections of the ACT test. They are:
Emily Anderson, Kennedi Becker, Berin Blashack, Amanda Cassin, Jalen Chaney, Darien Clarke, Madeline Cole, Jacqueline Cvek, Samantha Dahl, Luke Freeman, Benjamin Gilbertson, Serena Harris, Elan Quezada Hoffman, Ethan Quezada Hoffman, Gabrielle Holton, Jasmaine Haynes, Ashley Hoogheem, Riley Jensen, Hannah Klingman,C aroline Laborde, Emily Lokken, Ethan Lorentzen, Michael Ly, Duncan Masterman, Joseph McGee, Michael Mercadante, Alexander Meuers, David Nguyen, Donald Nguyen, Johnny Nguyen, Starr Nguyen, Thomas Opatz, Megan Paine, Karl Penaz, Emily Robichaud, Sela Roche, Katelyn Scherping, Emily Sjel
in, Matea Spyhalski, Joshua Tomczik, Robbins Vue, Skylar Walz, Samuel White, Alexander Wong
- Mathalicious Students of the Month. Each month the Math department nominates two students per teacher for Mathalicious. Mathalicious students demonstrate a variety of positive student behaviors. Students who are respectful, responsible, and resourceful, as well as work hard, persevere, help others, and score well are among those who receive the Mathalicious distinction. Students included: Jimmy Saenvilay, Alexia Blackford, Sterling Delcastillo, Angie Bibriesca, Olie Abate, Daya Perry, Chue Yang, Nhu Le, Brajae Scott, Odell Kyne, Sophia Sullivan-Almquist, Long Nguyen, Ayantu Ahmed, Nicholas Palaty, Adil Mohamed, Adolphus Summerville, Gabrielle Curry, Damion Brown, Joseph Donaldson, Adrianna Richardson, Samantha Bowen, Jessica Dahl, Cornell Richardson
- Congratultions to Osseo Senior High seniors Nicholas Carline, Erin Donaldson, Andrea Dienslake, Anna Fuhrman, Elizabeth Hainlen, and Jacob Walters! They received the 2017 Wastebasket Revue Scholarships.
Mathalicious Students of the Month. Each month the Math department nominates two students per teacher for Mathalicious. Mathalicious students demonstrate a variety of positive student behaviors. Students who are respectful, responsible, and resourceful, as well as work hard, persevere, help others, and score well are among those who receive the Mathalicious distinction. Students included: Savannah Roehl, Bonsa Deressa, Gao Xiong, Austin Lor, Luz Meza-Ayala, Jada Her, Rachel Manning, Vandan Vekaria, Grifyn Marcaccini, Emma Schulz, Lariah Boone, Brendan Rood, Emma Hughes, Halie Schmitt, Kayla Ly, Geetanjaalie Ramnauth, Kalena Vang, Margot Coomes, Nimo Ali, Tavion Williams
- Spotlifght Education, a program of Hennepin Theatre Trust, recognized Osseo Senior High's fall 2016 production of Once Upon a Mattress. Group honors of "Outstanding" went to the ensemble performers, and the student orchestra received "Honorable Mention." Individual reocgnition went to seniors Adam Larson ("Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role") for his role of King Sextimus the Silent, Emma Gavnik ("Honorable Mention for Performance in a Leading Role") for her role of Queen Aggrivan, and Jared Nelson ("Honorable Mention for Performance in a Supporting Role") for his role as Jester.
(Left-Right: Jared Nelson, Adam Larson, Emma Gavnik)
- Mathalicious Students of the Month. Each month the Math department nominates two students per teacher for Mathalicious. Mathalicious students demonstrate a variety of positive student behaviors. Students who are respectful, responsible, and resourceful, as well as work hard, persevere, help others, and score well are among those who receive the Mathalicious distinction. Students included: Mercedes Hruska, Mitch Mullenger, Helen Hake, Jesus Pineda, Sommer Entinger, Dana Ram, Madelyn Roiger, Christabel Eshun, Anna Gallagher, Kaye Glotz, Khanh Nguyen, Alexis McPherson, Matthew Larish, Pearl Buabeng, Carin Gutzwiller, Riley Bergfalk, Xujin Yan, Austyn Findley, Talile Hundessa, Charles Beckham, Jamaal Coleman, Casey Grothaus, Jena Fulgam
- Senior Adam Larson was featured as a Standout Student on CCX News. Watch HERE.
Osseo Senior High’s Visual Arts students shine once again at the 2017 Minnesota Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards. Osseo Art students had outstanding results in this year’s contest. Demonstrating talent in the areas of Ceramics, Photography, Drawing, Painting and Jewelry, OSH students earned a total of 29 awards competing against 3,800 art entries from schools across the state. Art Instructors Jennifer Cramer, Dan Prody and Molly Foley helped to prepare students for the contest and appreciate all the hard work and dedication they put forward.
A special thanks to the Osseo Lions and the Osseo Fire Department for their continued support of the arts!
Awarded Artwork will be on display at the University of Minnesota from January 31st –February 18th. Congratulations to the following students:
Awards listed by name, grade and medium:
Gold Key Awards:
Matt Bezdicek, 12 photography
Chad Vue, 12 drawing.
Silver Key Awards:
Christina Boe, 12 Ceramics,
Ben Gilbertson, 11 Ceramics
Jerret Nestico, 12 Ceramics
Sidney K-O, 12 Photography
Evelyn Vang, 9 pen and ink
Yahairi Vaquera, 12 Photography
Kelsi Hart 10, Photography
Christina Boe 12 Ceramics
Kelly Xiong , 9, Color Pencil
Micah Beisner 11 Ceramics
Christina Boe 12 Ceramics
Christina Boe 12 Ceramics
Ashley Chow,10, scratch art
Anna Gallagher 12 Drawing
Ben Gilbertson 11 Ceramics
Alliana Houfek 12 Drawing
Jerret Nestico 12 Ceramics
Jerret Nestico 12 Ceramics
Jerret Nestico 12 Ceramics
Braylin Ramseth 12 Ceramics
Jack Schroeder 12 Ceramics
Edward Torres 12 Ceramics
Samantha Banwell HM 12 Photography
Taylor Christen HM 12 Photography
Anna Gallagher HM 12 Drawing
Braylon Ramseth HM 12 Jewelry
Lexus Yang HM 10 Photography
- Mathalicious Students of the Month. Each month the Math department nominates two students per teacher for Mathalicious. Mathalicious students demonstrate a variety of positive student behaviors. Students who are respectful, responsible, and resourceful, as well as work hard, persevere, help others, and score well are among those who receive the Mathalicious distinction.
Osseo’s OEC program held their annual Adopt-A-Family fundraiser to support students at the district Elementary school, Zanewood Elementary. They raised funds ($2043), purchased gifts, and wrapped them for 26 unsuspecting elementary students whose holiday season was brightened. Community engagement and service projects are a cornerstone of the Emergency Services Program as students learn various ways to make a difference in people’s lives.
Mathalicious Students of the Month. Each month the Math department nominates two students per teacher for Mathalicious. Mathalicious students demonstrate a variety of positive student behaviors. Students who are respectful, responsible, and resourceful, as well as work hard, persevere, help others, and score well are among those who receive the Mathalicious distinction. Students included: Joshua Do, Emily Rossing, Jacob Ekberg, Ragnild Stensrud, Amaya Barstow, Harry Mason, Ellen Solem, Lauren Pfeffer, Rachel Johnson, Arianna Campbell, Jacob Savord, Angel Wesseh, Sierra Minor, Carese Minor, Magida Hassen, Jacob Walters, Alliana Houfek, Chaz Franklin, Miles Jackson, Andrea Enyioma, Erin O’Sullivan, Chi Xiong, Vianney Ramirez Ramos, Alexander Meuers, Riley Jensen, Lily Hamel
- Members of the OSH boys' hockey team contributed to the Osseo area community during their annual raking project, helping senior citizens with yard work and giving back.
- The Opportunities for Emergency Care program continued its
community service by cleaning up garbage and making sure the highway is well-maintained. OEC has adopted a stretch of Jefferson Highway since 1992!
- Senior Corey Moody will be representing Osseo Senior High at the state cross country running meet.
- On Oct. 9, Allison Rouche ('15), ran the Chicago Marathon in honor of and supporting children battling cancer at the University of Iowa Children's Hospital.
- Osseo Senior High Health Science Magnet students spent a weekend at Camp Wapogasset in Amery, WI learning and practicing emergency medical care procedures.
- Osseo Senior High choir students took part in the "Choir Night" at Target Field for the Twins' baseball game on September 22, 2016 with 500 students from area high schools to sing the National Anthem. Stephanie Trump from Robbinsdale-Armstrong High School conducted the joint choir, and after the anthem was sung, students were able to stay and watch the game.
- Senior Christina Boe celebrated her 1000th "kill" on the volleyball court on September 7, 2016. #ovbwins #1000kills
Congratulations on the Osseo Senior High Magnet Programs!
- Opportunities in Emergency Care
- ProStart culinary arts program
- Project Lead the Way
- Automotive Technology