Families Inspired To Reach For Excellence (F.I.R.E.)
About this Program
Families Inspired to Reach for EXCELENCE (F.I.R.E.) is a NEW District 279 K-12 program that offers classes that meet one night per week for 7 weeks. Parents and guardians learn how to navigate the school system to ensure student success. You will meet other parents who are committed and excited to gain new knowledge and confidence about K-12 and higher education systems.
Classes are offered in English, Spanish, and Hmong with the goal of fostering a partnership between families, students, school, and communityto further the education and success of all students. Parents will feel empowered to become actively involved in their child's education and school.
We believe that every parent or guardian who completes this programand puts the tools to work will:
- Have more knowledge of how the school system functions
- See their student(s) graduate on time
- Have the knowledge and tools to help close the achievement gap; and
- Have students who will develop the knowledge and tools to get into college
We also believe that more is accomplished when schools, families, and communities work together to promote student success.
Families Inspired to Reach for EXCELLENCE (F.I.R.E.) curriculum has three components: Elementary, Junior High, and High School. The Junior High curriculum covers the 6 following units:
- Adolescence: A time of Change and Growth
- Positive Communication Enhances Self Esteem
- How to Motivate Your Teenager to Read
- Obstacles that Get in the Way of Success in School
- How the School System Functions
- The Road to College
In addition to knowing that you now have the confidence and knowledge to advocate and support your children's success in school, you will also receive the following upon completing the classes:
- Ceremony at the end of the 7 weeks
- A signed certificate of completion
- Certificate for one Community Education class
When and where do we meet?
Meetings will be held at North View Jr. High in the Media Center on the second floor from 5:30-8:00 pm The dates that the class will meet on are:
Monday, January 9th
Monday, January 23rd
Monday, January 30th
Monday, February 6th
Monday, February 13th
Monday, February 27th
Dinner and FREE child care will be provided! Reserve your spot today-class sizes are limited! Prizes and drawings held in each class