Physical Education encompasses the development of the total child through cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains of learning.
*Psychomotor: Fitness, perceptual, and fundamental motor skills.
*Cognitive: Knowledge, understanding, and application of information.
*Affective: Positive self-image, acceptance of others, and group interaction.
The aim is to enhance motor skills and basal knowledge and to provide the social interaction necessary for a daily and life long foundation. In essence, the purpose of physical education is to encourage development of the total wellness of all individuals: physically, intellectually, and socially. The theme areas of the curriculum include body control, fitness, striking, receiving, and propelling. These themes will develop skills that can and will be applied in a variety of contexts.
Physical Education Program Outcomes
A physically educated person:
1. Demonstrates competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms.
2. Applies movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.
3. Exhibits a physically active lifestyle.
4. Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical activity.
5. Demonstrates responsible personal and social behavior.
6. Demonstrates understanding and respect for differences among people in physical activity settings.
7. Understands that physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.
Movement is a central mission of the brain…..
"Physical activity is good not only for the heart, but also for the brain feeding it glucose and oxygen, and increasing nerve connections, all of which makes it easier for children who exercise do better in school." Newsweek 2/19/96
Please note that by following the links below, you will leave the Osseo Area Schools and/or individual school website and enter a website created, operated and maintained by a third party. By providing links to other sites, Osseo Area Schools does not guarantee, approve, or endorse the information or products available on these sites. Privacy and security policies may differ from those of ISD 279-Osseo Area Schools.