Cedar Island Elementary School
Welcome to Cedar Island Elementary School! Our PreK-Grade 5 elementary school helps students develop strong reading and math skills along with healthy social interactions in a caring learning environment. With approximately 440 students in grades K-5, we are a community based school with excellent parent involvement through our Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) and a strong parent volunteer program.
Over the past couple of years, Cedar Island has transitioned from serving students in grades PreK-3 to a PreK-5 school which matches the other elementary schools in the Osseo Area Schools district. Preschool options include programming for 3 and 4 year olds which are in session for half days (2-3 days per week) to 4 STAR Express which is a combined preschool /daycare experience. We also offer early childhood Special Education services. Kidstop, a before and after school care experience, provides child support for families needing help for “the rest of the day”.
We take pride at Cedar Island in educating the whole child. Every homeroom starts their day with a “morning meeting” designed to build relationships through greeting each other, sharing about their lives, participating in cooperative activities, and transitioning to the academic day.
We meet the needs of all learners in a variety of ways, including:
- A reading and math intervention program that provides extra support to students when needed;
- A gifted education program to help ensure that all children are challenged;
- Special Education;
- Skills Program for children who need developmental and cognitive support;
- Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop model is used for Language Arts to differentiate for the different reading levels of children;
- A variety of opportunities for children to develop leadership skills (intercampus television announcements, Bobcat Council - service leadership for 5th grade, student ambassadors for Kindergarten orientation, etc. )
- A variety of after school extra-curricular programming through our district Community Education and Maple Grove Parks and Recreation.
Please peruse our Web site to learn more about our school. If you would like to request a tour or learn more information about Cedar Island, please feel free to call us at 763-425-5855.
I look forward to meeting all of our new families!
Daniel Wald, Principal