The Children’s Defense Fund - Freedom Schools program provides summer enrichment that helps children fall in love with reading, increases their self-esteem, and generates more positive attitudes towards learning. Children are taught using a model pedagogy that supports children and families around five essential components: high-quality academic enrichment, parent and family involvement, civic engagement and social action, intergenerational leadership development, and nutrition, health and mental health.
Quick Notes about Freedom Schools
- Freedom Schools is 6 weeks Free Summer Program that focuses on Literacy
- Daily incorporation of STEAM, weekly field trips, and culturally-responsive activities during the afternoon session
- Although, it’s a literacy program and data demonstrates significant growth; it is not a reading intervention program
- Servant Leader Interns (SLI) receive intense training to instruct 1:10 student ratio
- Children of Color greatly benefit from all of the cultural responsive practices, literature, experiences, etc.
- It is not limited to children of color.
June 18-July 26
Monday - Friday
8 am - 3 pm
Application is ONLINE only
Must have completed grades Kindergarten through 7th grade
Must be currently enrolled in Osseo Area Schools
For more information, please see this INFORMATIONAL FLYER